Monday, August 11, 2014

Book Review: Virgin by Radhika Sanghani

Virgin
By Radhika Sanghani
Release Date: August 5, 2014
Source: Publisher
Summary: Okay, I admit it…I didn’t do it.

Yet.

This is normal, right?  I mean, just because everyone I know has talked like they’ve already done it doesn’t mean that they’re telling the truth…right?

It’s not like I’m asking for that much. I don’t need the perfect guy. I don’t need candlelight or roses. Honestly, I don’t even need a real bed.

The guys I know complain that girls are always looking for Mr. Right—do I have to wear a sign that says I’m only looking for Mr. Right Now?

Sooooo…anyone out there want sex? Anyone? Hello? Just for fun?

I am not going to die a virgin. One way or another I am going to make this happen.

Hey, what have I got to lose? Besides the obvious.


Review: I had never even heard of this book until a copy had showed up on my doorstep to review. I was intrigued by the promise of a story about a 21-year-old who didn't have it all figured out when it came to guys and intimate relationships. While some parts were hilarious and relatable, Ellie's complete obsession with her virginity got really old by the end of the novel. 

Ellie is a 21-year-old virgin, but not because she wants to be. She's just happened to have her fair share of mishaps with the opposite sex and never managed to go all the way. So she's determined to finally seal the deal with anyone willing to do the job. Just because Ellie's willing, though, doesn't mean it will be that easy to finally feel accepted in her social circles. Ellie explores the good, the bad, and the ugly of being a virgin in a sex-crazed world. 

So at first, I really liked Ellie. She was a girl surrounded by people in college obsessed with talking about sex, which makes her super uncomfortable because she's never actually done it. But when Ellie becomes determined to finally lose her virginity, she literally becomes obsessed with it. Ellie has this whole life where she's in her final year at university, gets in a huge fight with her best friend, and works on setting up her future as a writer, yet all she can talk about is trying to get this guy to sleep with her and how to be fully prepared for finally having sex. I wish we could have seen more of her working on her dissertation, which I still don't know what it was about, reconciling with her best friend, or just conversing with other people her age. Ellie was completely and utterly obsessed with sex that I kind of got tired of it by the end. And when opportunities for writing were just handed to her, I had a hard time believing her skill in writing when we barely got to see her actually try to achieve those opportunities other than sending out a simple email. 

While her obsession with sex got annoying, I did enjoy how honest and funny Ellie was when describing her insecurities and uncertainties with her sexuality. Ellie definitely doesn't have it all figured out and that just makes her so much more relatable. Seriously, how do characters in books always know what to do in every situation, whether they're sexual or not? Ellie proves that no one is really that sure of themselves and finally gives a voice to all of those people who have those insecurities but are too scared to say anything about it. I really enjoyed how she started her "vlog" with Emma, but I wish we got more articles that didn't just reiterate what Ellie had already talked about almost word for word with her friends. 

Overall, Virgin sounded entertaining in theory but lacked true substance and depth to the story and main character. Ellie's complete obsession with her virginity became old and made all 20-somethings sound like sex-crazed people who only care about who's having sex and how they're having it. Seriously, there's more to life. While Ellie sort of redeems herself as she explores what her virginity really means to her in the end, that couldn't save her annoying and redundant obsession that lasted for almost the entire novel.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...